Amy - Mesa, Arizona
Themes: setbacks

A Small Tip

I believe you should cherish every breath you take in this world. Of course there are going to be hard times that we all will feel maxed out like we can’t take anymore. I think in America we don’t appreciate the things that should matter most; like our families, our friends, our jobs, the roofs over our heads, and the fact that in Arizona no matter what storm comes the sun will shine every day. I feel like we should take a moment to take a deep breath and breathe in everything we have come to accumulate in our lives.

Recently I was extremely depressed. I was at a moment in my life, like millions of people around the world, where I just wanted to give up. I wanted to quit school and isolate myself from my family and friends. I would go to work and complain the entire time about every little thing. It got to be where I wasn’t in a good mood…ever. I would then come home and realize that I had nothing to come home to besides a sink full of dirty dishes and about fifteen loads of laundry. Everything seemed to be breaking and barreling down on my shoulders all at once.

It wasn’t until one night at work like usual I was complaining about having to pick up a different section at my monotonous serving job. I said the slightest thing to my manager and he sent me home, just like that. I felt horrible like I had done something wrong when really I think he was just fed up of it. I was instantly miserable and realized how I was acting. It was extremely discouraging to know that someone was mad at me or to know that someone didn’t think I was the fun and bubbly Amy that I used to be.

After that night full of apologies I understood that there is more to life than just work and school. For a long time I was on this same boring track and the weird thing is that I am still on it. I just now will stop to take a fresh breath of air, roll my windows down on the freeway, or call my parents just to say “I love you” and to let her know how I really feel. I believe life is too short to take it for granted and I have already wasted too much time doing just that. I believe I can redeem myself and come out of this as a stronger and more compassionate person. I believe in living everyday to its fullest.

Cherish the times.

Cherish the moments.

Cherish the people.

And be yourself.