Miguel - El Paso, Texas

Free Mind

I believe in having an open mind. I feel that people shouldn’t limit themselves to only one thing, whether it is the music you listen to or the social group you choose to be a part of. By being open minded and taking the time to listen to other music, to be a part of another culture, to feel and understand what others are going through and how others react to certain situations, you will have a better perspective of why they chose what they’re doing and you won’t be so quick to tease or judge a person. We all have our likes and preferences, but that doesn’t mean that we have to be ignorant and blind to what other people choose to be.

As I get ready to finish my senior year in high school I see all kinds of “groups” and “scenes”. I get to experience how we are split and divided because of what we look like and the people we hang out with. A lot of my classmates have the close minded mentality that their way is the only right way to do things. I walk the halls and witness, on a daily basis, people getting teased, laughed at, and ridiculed because of their clothing, ethnicity, skin color, even musical choices. It seems that the only way people get more popular in their own group is by isolating themselves from other groups, so people begin to separate and tension builds.

We always like to think we’re right, but the truth is we can always learn a little more. If we only took the time to actually listen and place ourselves in somebody else’s shoes, we might develop our ideas so much more than just from our experiences alone. Not only will we know ourselves better but we would also learn to respect all others around us. People will hopefully open their minds one day and realize that there is always more than one way and that one way isn’t always the only way. We think the way we do because of how we were brought up and what we experience, there are in infinite amount of fates and experiences, we should try to experience as many as we can! Now when I’m in the halls and in my classes I try to pay attention to all my peers, I try to be kind and generous no matter how much a person bothers me. I always try to think the way they do and start conversation on any subject the best I can.

I believe that by having a healthy and open mind it is possible to bring peace to this world. Everybody thinks different, and everybody thinks different for many reasons. By listening to as many people as you can, and taking the time to understand their situation you might just go through an epiphany yourself and change the way you see something, the possibilities are endless! I believe in having an open mind.