Savanna - Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Themes: love

I believe in unconditional love. Sure, everyone says they “love” someone, and I’m sure they do; but is it unconditional? Is it the love that reminds you that you would do anything and everything for that person? In my short 18 years of life, I have watched many people fall in love, then out of love and I can’t help but wonder – where does it go? Didn’t it mean anything to them?

Examples of true unconditional love in our world seem to be harder and harder to find these days, but the hearts that possess this amazing thing must hold onto it with everything in them and never let it go.

I have great examples of unconditional love in my life; my grandparents have been married for over 50 years and, still to this day, fall in love with each other over and over every single day.

One day, when I was about 11, I sat in their kitchen and watched my Grandpa grab my tiny, 5-foot grandma, wrap her in her arms and say “I have the most beautiful girlfriend in this whole world.” She just laughed a little laugh and said “I have the most handsome boyfriend in this whole world, too.”

Maybe it was an every day ritual for them, and they really didn’t think twice about it,

but I was astonished. It made my little mind whirl into a sea of thoughts. So many people search for this love in the wrong places – physical appearance, money, anywhere but in the deepest part of their hearts.

I Corinthians 13:4-8 says: “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.” I believe this is the tried-and-true definition of unconditional love.

I believe unconditional love can carry you through anything life throws your way. It can make you smile when you feel you have nothing left in this world except that hand you’ve been holding on to through it all. The world ‘unconditional’ really says it all – no matter what, no matter where, no matter when, no matter why. This love is in all of us, we just have to work hard at it. Unconditional love – this I believe.