This Will Work

Rachel - Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Themes: love

I believe this is going to work, I believe I will not be come a statistic, I believe my marriage will work. Statistics say that 46% of marriages end in divorce, I believe that mine won’t. The first time I laid eyes on my future husband, he wasn’t who I pictured would be my “man in shining armor”. He’s shorter, with dark hair and eyes, I always pictured myself with a tall, blond hair, and blue eyed man. However, I could not keep my eyes off of him.

We first met in December 2002 and I felt something different. We have both just gotten out of long term relationships. We sat on a couch and talked all night about ourselves. We “watched” a few movies. During the movies our hands kept grazing each others, of course after that we would just pull our hands away. Finally, I got the courage and just grabbed his, he laughed and asked “I was wondering which one of us was going to do that first.” We sat on the couch and cuddled. About half way through the night we got a little hungry so he decided to go on a snack run to the convenience store. Before he left he grabbed and gave me a soft kiss on the lips. That night we exchanged numbers.

He moved down to Eau Claire in January 2003, I moved in shortly after. The only time we weren’t together is when one of us had to go to work. We had our ups and downs, but no matter what we would work things out. I remember during one of our major arguments I was really unhappy with him working two jobs, I never got to see him. I felt like there was no way I could live like this. I told him that if things didn’t change I was going to leave. Things changed immediately; he had his hours cut at his second job. Once for Valentines Day he had bought me a bouquet of a dozen roses and he added a fake rose and he wrote in the card that he would love me till every rose dies. That was the point in my life I knew I was going to marry this man.

When it came to propose to me he was a nervous wreck. His hand and voice was very shaky. We always talked about getting married; he knew I would say “yes”. It was our two-year anniversary; I couldn’t get off of work. He came in around 2 in the morning, the same time frame that we meet two years before; he brought me two roses for the two years we were together. He took my hand and led me to the couch in the hotel lobby, and told me he loved me and asked me if I would become he wife forever. I said “yes, of course”.

However, my parents weren’t as thrilled as we were. They said we are too young and we should wait till I’m done with school. I told them that yes we are going to wait for a couple of years, but my mom just kept on with “you guys are just too young”. I’m 23 years old; there are plenty of younger brides and grooms. I thought how could she think this when she was younger then me when she got married. We can’t even sleep with out one another; I can’t even go eight hours with out talking to him and hearing his voice. It’s going on four years since Ian and I have laid eyes on each other and I believe our marriage will work.