Cortnie - Hendersonville, Tennessee
Themes: carpe diem

Have you ever done something so dangerous, and yet so unique, that it felt completely natural, like you were meant to do it? Or, have you ever been so happy, so blissfully happy that at one moment, if you were to die then and there, you would not have cared at all? Both of these are examples of natural highs, my natural highs—one by risk, the other by pure happiness. The famous playwright George Bernard Shaw once said, “You see and feel things; you ask ‘why?’; I see and feel things; and I ask ‘why not?’” I BELIEVE IN NATURAL HIGHS.

Taking a risk, thrill seeking…ever done it? Tons of people around the globe have made walking the tight rope between danger and safety their living; they will never; it is their pursuit of happiness, their natural high. Whether it be in business, making decisions, or skydiving, they are all related to a statement by a famous fashion designer, Diane von Furstenburg, “Life itself is a risk.” People have discovered the addiction of adrenaline. Also, the risk of being caught…knowing that long is the joy that guilty pleasure brings. Euripides knows what I’m talking about. I am a risk taker and will continue to be one; I’ve discovered what gets my adrenaline rushing, and I’m never going to forget it.

I’m a pilot, and flying is such a high, knowing that I am achieving something that few people do, something that was not originally meant for man to do. None of us were born with wings, therefore we were not naturally meant to fly. But since two ingenious brothers made history in North Carolina, I too have been caught up in the amazing world of flying. I must say that feeling the gravity push down on me while going into a nose dive is absolutely amazing and absolutely intoxicating. The Wright Brothers discovered their natural high, and had the will not the let it go after one event of its unearthing. America’s highest scoring ace pilot during WWI, Eddie Rickenbacker said, “Aviation is proof that given the will, we can do the impossible.” And after achieving the impossible, comes the high.

I like taking risks, it makes my life fun and it keeps my life from being boring. Though not all of my actions are safe, I still believe in natural highs. Everyone has their things that make them blissfully happy; flying is my blissful happiness.