I believe in myself.

Deb - USA

I believe in myself. I believe that everything I have been, am, and will be is consistently true with who I perceive myself to be. I am:

Amazing; uncommon like a snowflake,

dependable, yet unpredictable,

a feminist girly-girl,

an oxymoron,

the sweetest thing, with a bitter aftertaste

highly educated, but useless at 19,

not influenced easily,

poetic when I want to be,

a raving liberal democratic atheist,

not your dream girl, because I am real, and not a dream,

two-sided, but not two-faced,

a teenager with raging hormones,

goal-oriented and a procrastinator,

a perfectionist,

overwhelmed, underslept, and between the stars,

a singer, a thinker, a lover, a giver.

I’m

just a girl, so dont let me out of your sight,

honest like no one you know,

outspoken and outrageous,

not afraid to be different despite what others may think,

arrogant and modest,

selfish and spoiled,

attention hungry but willingly not in the spotlight

self-centered but sometimes not

crazy and fun, but if you dont understand me you wont laugh

hard to read and stubborn

determined but not driven.

I am Deb, and proud of who I am.

I respect myself and everyone in my life. I am still learning to see things from other people’s perspectives. I value what I have and try not to feel sorry for myself because of things I don’t have. Education, music, and laughter are a few things I value the most. I am most fortunate to have grown up in a household where education came first, and the public schools I attended provided me with only the best. Music was also a huge element in my home. As much as I hated it when I was five years old, piano lessons were required until graduation of high school. It turned out to be one of the most valuable experiences in my life. Laughter could solve the world’s problems. After a crappy day, a few lines from Dwight Schrute from The Office are all I need to be completely recovered and cheerful. Either that or a comedic prank played on him by Jim Halpert. How can anybody resist laughing that Jim had encased Dwight’s belongings in Jell-o or paid everyone in the office to call him by the wrong name for an entire day? I find it irresistible to laugh, and maybe that is why life is so great.

My parents always told me that as long as I tried as hard as I could, and learned something valuable, grades were not important. They told me that if I were true to myself I would be the happiest person I could be. They told me that love should come before money and that respect goes hand in hand with understanding and tolerance. I may be the fourth child, the mistake born twenty-one years after the first child, the daughter of divorced parents and a close relative of an alcoholic. But I am also a proud aunt of two, the best friend of five amazing girls, loved by my boyfriend, and respected by many. The power of believing in and loving myself allows me to be the best person I can be. I don’t deny myself anything, including living life to the fullest, and believing in myself is accomplishing just that.