Kimberly - Dandridge, Tennessee

Nobody knows how to communicate these days, this I believe

Years ago, I read an interesting study about people and what they are likely to respond to. In this study, it was suggested that 70% of us respond best to visual stimulation with the remaining people split at about 20% auditory and 10% emotional. I myself count amongst the auditory. I respond best to things I hear and by what is said by the speaker, how things are spoken is more emotional based.

The reason I am talking about this is because of my wish to be eloquent. When I am talking, I want the world to stop everything and listen to me. Furthermore, I want their time to be well spent, I should appear cool, informed, beautiful… ok, that is visual, but still applies as far as I’m concerned.

Growing up, it seemed every week at school, something new in pop culture would appear in the local language. If you didn’t get it, or pick it up quick enough, you were an outcast. What everyone failed to realize then, was that most of the time, nobody had any idea what they were talking about, “Ya feel me dog?”

Today, I think you should focus on being understood, not just being heard. I’ll admit, that when I am relaxed, I speak with just as much slang and swearing as anybody these days. But when I want to make a point, I want my audience to really hear me.

How many times have you listened to someone talking, who is so intent on not offending anybody, that they make absolutely no sense? If you have something to say, state your mind, make it clear! Being politically correct all the time is assassinating honesty.

Whatever stimuli you respond to, you should always do your best to be understood, use gestures, and feel what you are trying to say, but just say it if all else fails. People will be happier if they say what they believe and don’t beat around the bush about it. Relationships suffer all the time because people are afraid to say what they think or feel. Think of all the dates, you could have been on if you told that someone you’re interested. Think of all the trouble you could avoid, if you tell someone making a mistake they’re wrong.

I sometimes wish, I could be more emotional based for my interests; they are the ones who can take words and make you see and feel what they are saying. I can only make you hear me. So, speak now or forever hold your piece… of mind.