Andy - Knoxville, Tennessee
Themes: children

I Believe in Dr. Seuss

Would a fox wear socks? Does it matter if the fish are red or blue? And where exactly do green eggs come from? These are the questions that have been asked to millions of children over the past half-century. Dr. Seuss, through his rhymes, taught us to try new, exotic thing in Green Eggs and Ham, the importance of imagination in The Cat in the Hat, the significance of all life in Horton Hears a Who, and to not jump on our fathers in Hop on Pop. These books may seem childish at first, but I believe if we paid more attention to the good doctor the world would be a much better place today. If we were all open to different ways of life homophobia wouldn’t exist. If we all embraced our imagination and ran wild with it think of the machines that we could create. If all life was respected and held as sacred no racism or sectarian violence would take place. It’s nice to think about a Seuss-inspired world. I wish Dr. Seuss had left us a few books to deal with contemporary problems, though. However, I don’t think Why The Terrorists Hate Us would be as interesting as How The Grinch Stole Christmas.

I believe that the first step towards a Seussian utopia (yes, I just invented the word “Seussian”) would be to let go and to live life a little more freely.