Jessica - Knoxville, Tennessee

Doing things alone is not so bad

When I was in the 7th grade my two best friends joined the youth choir at church. Of course, being their best friend it wasn’t to long until I joined as well. I did it just to be with them. At first I thought it was boring and I couldn’t believe my friends actually liked this, but since I wanted to be with my friends I stayed in. After two years we were all still going to choir, but one day out of the blue my best friends stopped coming. I know what all of you all are thinking and you’re right, I too stopped going to youth choir after they stopped. But, unlike them about a month passed by and I started to miss it. So, when the next Sunday rolled around I went back to youth choir. Surprisingly, I still had fun without my friends!

At age of 15 I finally had realized that I don’t have to be with my friends to enjoy something. Up until then I had always clung my friends. I never wanted to go or do anything without them, and if they wanted to something I would go along with it. I was the so called “follower”, which thinking back on that now seems so embarrassing. I can’t believe I was ever like that. So, from that point on if I didn’t want to do something, I wasn’t going to do it. I know that probably sounds cliché but sometimes friends can influence you to do things you wouldn’t normally do.

Now at age 19, I still love my friends and want to be with them, but I now know that I don’t have to have my friends to do what I like. Don’t get me wrong, I love my friends but sometimes I just want to be alone! I have now learned that the time I spend with my friends is special. Especially now being graduated from high school I don’t get see my friends as much and when I do get to see them it means so much more to me!