Catherine - Plover, Wisconsin

I believe that knowledge is the foundation for success and like the majesty and strength of the white pine, each of us continues to grow as we find nutrients in the experiences life has to offer- especially when that experience comes through collaborative opportunities with others.

I believe we need to see the forest through the trees in our students….but recognize that the individuality of those trees is what creates the dynamic environments in which we live and work, enhances our learning and allows us to grow.

I believe everyone has the opportunity to be successful and we need to encourage students to look beyond the roadblocks, to guide them in the process, and help them successfully navigate the waters when they get rough. Believe in them and they will ultimately believe in themselves.

I believe that making mistakes is a valuable and inherent part of the learning process and the opportunity to really grow lies in how we embrace the learning that results from a wrong turn, a bad decision or a simple misunderstanding.

I believe that everyone should be recognized for his or her strengths in learning in whatever fashion it manifests itself and allow students the freedom to explore and express their ideas. I believe we should continually encourage questions and creativity and ownership in ones own educational path and the destinations it will lead them to.

I believe we need to continue to push the envelope within the systems in which we work and play that challenges traditional organization and allow new ideas to be generated, tested and implemented for the sake of a better learning opportunity for all students and not a select few who fit the model.

I believe in creating encouraging and dynamic environments that allows partnerships and encourages others to teach as part of their own learning process.

I believe our role reaches far beyond the walls of a classroom and we should embrace the partnership of other organizations whose mission is success of the participants in their programs.

I believe we have a lot of work to do to effect positive change in our students and ultimately the world in which we live, but I also believe we are passionate enough about the work we do and those we serve to overcome any obstacle that may block our path.

To teach, to embrace learning as a process and model it for our students, to encourage, to believe, to watch and to grow ultimately will change the world.