Leah - Lenoir City, Tennessee
Age Group: 65+
Themes: parenthood

My Secret Hero

I believe in never giving up. Never giving up is what my secret hero, my dad, has taught me, and he doesn’t even know it.

My dad never went to college or even graduated from high school he had other plans, he married my mom, and then they had me. But he wasn’t satisfied with his life he wanted to do something great so when I grew up I could be proud to say that is my dad. He discovered powerlifting. So almost everyday after he got off work he would go work out at our small town gym. He did this for several years, and entered many competitions doing very well. Until, I was in the fourth grade he got very sick and had to be hospitalized. Then, they discovered a lump in his chest. With technology not being as good as it is today and he was told it was breast cancer. Our family was devastated, never in my life had I seen my father so sick and weak looking. Then, a month later they removed the lump and discovered it was only a clump of tissue. They told my dad not to lift anything heavy for a year, because they didn’t want to damage any of the surrounding tissue. My dad didn’t know what to do, because that meant not working out for a entire year. A year later the doctor gave him the go ahead to resume working out. And of course he did. What my dad wasn’t excepting was to be so weak. He struggled for a few years with working out and not having a partner. He also never could reach the point in working out that he was at before he got sick. Then, my dad found a partner, at our church, to start working out with him. Well they worked out for several years together, but never entered any competition. Well my dads partner, Mo, finally convinced my dad into entering a competition in October 2006 in Gatlinburg. He was so excited and nervous when we got there, and seen all the other people he would be competing against. Well he didn’t do good, he only completed his first attempt at bench pressing, and his second at dead lifting. He was so disappointed in himself, but he didn’t give up. Him and Mo entered another competition in March of this year. My dad broke the world record for the push pull, benching and deadlift, in his division. My dad is still smiling today, and is preparing himself for another competition at the end of the year.

My dad’s life is a huge inspiration to me. After everything he has been through he just keeps going. He is the one who encouraged me to go to college, and not to give up just, because it is hard. I also want my kids to be proud of me, and look up to me the way I look up to my dad. This is why my father is my secret hero. Never give up is what I will always believe.