Mleinda - Knoxville, Tennessee

It’s O.K. To Not Eat At The Dinner Table Every Night!

As I sit here in yet another drive through I ask myself when will I see the dinner table again. My life consists of being a mother, companion, daughter, sister, friend, and the list is never ending. My everyday routine is made up of school, work, soccer practice, karate, and squeezing in some form of one on one time with my son. The day is filled with never ending to do lists and not enough sleep or time. Although I am grateful to be blessed with so much joy and the means to meet our needs, I feel like the core of my beliefs are slipping away. When I was growing up my mother always had dinner ready at six o’clock and we ate as a family at the dinner table. Back then it didn’t seem like a big deal, but now I enjoy that routine and memories. I find myself questioning my decision to allow my son to play two sports at once, because it ties up four days with practice. I asked my mom one day how she managed to always have dinner ready and all of us together at the same time. She responded with, “It’s not about where you eat dinner, but the conversation you share with your family. She said that our generation is moving at much faster pace with a lot more to do.” She’s right I try so hard to fit into a life based on what others feel is appropriate when raising children. That particular scene at the dinner table is a wonderful thing, but does not measure up how well I am raising my son. So, as I sit and watch my son practice karate or soccer and I see such excitement in his eyes I realize these moments are what our life represents for us. I do not need to worry as long as I take the time to lay a good foundation for him and show him love. So, for anyone feeling overwhelmed or guilty for not having dinner at the table just remember its ok to not eat at the dinner table every night and this is what I believe.