melissa - knoxville, Tennessee
Themes: golden rule

I Believe in Karma

I believe in karma and the golden rule: treat others as you would like to be treated, and what goes around usually does come around, good or bad. In truth, it actually is a hard skill to master. It really is difficult always being aware that even the smallest of actions can really brighten or ruin someone’s day. We all learned this is kindergarten and I really think that it is time for all of us to start using it.

I can think of many examples to support my belief, however the one that really sticks out is when I was the defenseless cashier at work and I was technically unable to defend myself when an especially irritable customer called me a name of which I cannot repeat. Officially, I am not allowed to be rude to a customer, even if they are rude to me. I wanted to tell her just what I thought of her more than anything. Instead I kept my mouth shut and smiled. I told her to have a wonderful day, even though it was really difficult to be that nice. She left and I was furious, but I realized that it would make me just as bad, if not worse, than her if I had retaliated. Essentially, I treated her how I would like to be treated.

I do think in life that there is a certain order to things, and I that they do come around eventually. I try as hard as I can to always be aware of my actions. This I believe