David - Knoxville, Tennessee
Themes: work

Work Hard, Play Hard

I believe in one or two things, but I do believe in working hard and playing hard. Basically what I mean by that is work hard for what you want, but have fun along the way. My dad, when I was little, always said work hard but have fun. He really stressed the working part. I never really knew what he meant when I was little. I always thought that was a funny thing to say. Recently I have begun to understand what he meant.

Growing up I have always been into sports. My family is big into all sports. I played just about all of them, but one stood out more than any football. I always loved football and wasn’t bad at it. By the time I was in highschool I was always working out or running or practicing. I thought this is what my dad was talking about, this is hard work.

I had it all figured out until this past year was my last year of playing football, and my parents said I had to get a job. Not only did I have to get a job, I would have to basically support myself. My mom and my dad agreed that they would pay for school and that would be it. I thought to myself this is going to fun. Not long after that I moved out and got a job and was going to school. This at the time was a lot to take in. I didn’t think I was going to make it at first. Eventually everything settled down and I got used to working my butt off. I finally realized what my dad was talking about when he said, no one is going to give you anything and you have to work for what you want. I don’t think I am having as much trouble with the having fun part, I mean I am in college.

I thought I always had a good work ethic and was working hard until I had to pay for a lot more stuff than I was used to. Basically what I am saying is you have to work your butt off for what you want but have fun along the way, this I believe.