Katie - Saco, Maine

I believe love should be a celebration for everyone

“The Eskimo has fifty-two names for snow because it is important to them; there ought to be as many for love.” – Margaret Atwood

A couple of weeks ago I was riding with one of my friends when her father, who I deeply respect, said something that made me lose some of that respect. I had brought up the subject of how it’s great that students at our school are comfortable with coming out of the closet, especially with the Gay-Straight Alliance. After I had said that he became quiet for a few seconds and then said, “I liked it better when they were in the closet.” Now this took me by surprise, because I had never thought a thing like that would come out of his mouth. Then I continued on to ask him why that would be, and he replied with, “I just think it has gotten way out of context and it’s became just a big celebration.” And I thought to myself “Shouldn’t love be a celebration for everyone?”

I proceeded to state that I had a few gay relatives who I don’t think of as any less. It has always made me angry, ever since the controversy of gay marriage erupted, when people said that it was “wrong and denying their lord.” I’ve wanted to just scream, “Don’t you know God did not physically write the Bible! It was people writing it for him, and most of it was their beliefs and observation!” It always disgusts me when I’m around people who are so ignorant to go on rants about how homosexuality is wrong and make crude jokes. No matter who you are, if you’re black, white, purple, blue, gay, straight, bisexual, heck even trisexual, it’s still love.

All in all I believe that love and the right of marriage should be shared between any two people, man and woman, woman and woman, or man and man; it’s all the same love. Love is love, and nothing anyone says or does can change that. So I believe that love should be a celebration for everyone and I think a lot more people should start believing that too. Who knows, maybe it would make this world a better place.