Kelly - Oviedo, Florida

This I believe,that raising children is not nearly as difficult as watching them leave. No one ever tells you that raising children is easy. Quite to the contrary, every where you turn someone is telling you how hard it is, how under-estimated the task. On and on, as though you wanted to hear everyone elses’ horror stories about the first day of kindergarten. It’s the day they leave and they don’t have to call and check in, it finally hits you.

The reality that they really aren’t possesions that you can put up and take down like the coral colored sundress you treasure only using it after Memorial Day each year.

My daughter left for college we have completed the first year to date. She thinks that I don’t care, that I seem not to be interested. It’s a lie. And one that I don’t truly want to admit to her. Truth is, I’m trying to ignore the fact that she is her own person. Now, I know the goal was to raise each one of our children to become their own person. But, I’m still turning over and over again in my mind. Trying to find a way to make it turn a different direction. My theory has been to not act overly motherly towards the college madness so I don’t seem nosey. I’m learning to give my opinon less and less. Because it matters less and less in her world. The boyfriends that come and go. The ones that have matted hair, I suppose brushes are not a necessity in college. The ones that don’t eat meat. I purposely cook my special burgandy roast on the day he “drops” by. Offering dinner to him, knowing he’ll decline. He looses points with the family at that point. More points for me!

This I believe, that my children will someday experience the exact same realization I am right now. Your children are on loan, just for a little while. This I believe, that I have had the greatest love of my life borrowing my children for just a little while.