Juliane - Quincy, Massachusetts
Themes: immigrant

The Universe Conspires In Your Favor

Many people believe that dreams can’t be realized. Because of this, they forget their dreams and loose the opportunity to realize their dreams and can become frustrated. I believe things can happen if you are always positive about it. If you have a dream, independently of the barries, you need to believe you can do it.

Today, I am 24 years old. I remember my childhood when I only wanted to think about swimming pools and playing with my toys. My parents once told me that the world is immense and a lot beyond everthing I was learning and living. They mentioned that it was just the beginning, that in life we need to have dreams and believe that nothing is impossible when you really wish for something.

My family has many stories to tell. One of the stories that fascinates me is of my father, who was born in a small and simple town. His mother died when he was born. He grew up on a farm, raised by his uncle and had a dream of one day flying a plane as a pilot.

His dream that was considered impossible at the time, with a lot of faith in God, courage and determination, one day became real. Today he is retired from an airplane company.

I grew up inspired by these stories and always believed that I could also realize my dreams. When I was younger I said that one day I would like to have the experience of living in another country, to know other places, different cultures and make new friends, and I was always looking for information to do this. I participated in a meeting about international work experience, after that, I worked in a English school and started to learn the language to come to USA as an au-pair. From that moment, I started to believe my dreams could be realized and I intended to come to USA. In December 2005, the most incredible thing happened. My father’s friend, who had been living in the USA for 10 years, came to Brazil and visited my family. I met him and he told me about Boston and after that I decided to come with my brother here in June 2005.

Today I am here in another country, learning about many things, new cultures, languages, meeting new friends and conquering new challenges. I feel very happy with this experience. My parents and family always gave me incentive and motivation for me to realize this dream.

I can understand now what my parents told me about life that when you really desire something the universe conspires in your favor. And this I believe.