Kayla - West Branch, Michigan
Themes: carpe diem

There are many things that I believe in, but what runs through my mind each day is the thought of how short and precious every day is. Every day is a new oppurtunity that is waiting to be grasped, so that we can run away with it in whatever direction we want. I want to make something of each day that i wake up. A day will never be wasted if I can help it. I believe in carpe-diem.

Being younger, life and the days that filled it did not seem much of importance to me; i was a kid. But around the age fourteen, i found out how cherishing life was when my aunt died at much too young of an age. Each day after her aneurism had burst we hoped and prayed for her to become healthy and vibrant with life again. Unfortunately, the life that had been given to her thirty-four years earlier was taken from her. My aunt left behind a husband and two beautiful children, along with her seven siblings and eighteen nieces and nephews. Realizing how cruel life was and how quick the world can be to take people’s lives away, i rapidly found a new respect for life. From then on, i took the vow that i would not wast my life, and live every day to the fullest. I’m not saying that i do something amazing each day, but i try to make the best of it. i have found that i’ve become much more forgiving and loving to those who mean a lot to me. I am no longer critical of my parents as i once was and I am more understanding of them when they ask something of me. I admire the life that has been given to me and each day that comes with it.

Only one lifetime has been given to me, and i have promised myself that i will make of it what I want. I will fulfill the dreams that I have cluttering in my thoughts. It won’t be easy, but I will not waste the days that I have. I will keep the thoughts of carpe- diem going through my mind each day that I wake up. Carpe-diem is not only something that I believe in; it is a part of my everyday life.