Deanna - Huntington Beach, California

I believe in Curiosity. I believe in the power of asking both simple and complex questions. I welcome being asked questions. As a therapist, I have watched a question lead to exploration of what may be taken for granted as truth in the lives of those who consult me. I have watched this thoughtful exploration sometimes take my clients on a journey of struggle. Yet, more times than not, we come to a place that includes clarity of ideas, creation of possibilities for change and empowerment for action.

As a mother, I have witnessed my children ask “why?” with joyful wonderment as well as with puzzlement. I believe this simple 3-letter question has enormous power to encourage thinking. Sometimes, I may not have a clear cut answer for them; yet, in their innocence, they have challenged me to at least think about what it is I want to pass on to them. I hear adults say “because.” I find myself pondering if “because” has become some kind of easy answer that renders us blind to curiosity and thus shuts down thinking. I wonder how curiosity evaporated during the journey from childhood to adulthood.

In a world where people seem so locked into positions of right versus wrong, I find it refreshing to ask, what ideas, people and values inform a right or wrong position or belief. I relish the question of whether it is possible to hold one position and simultaneously be curious about the polar opposite of that position as well as every point in between.

In a time in my life when I am watching men and women march off to battle on the premise of “we’re right, therefore you must be wrong”, I believe we must invoke curiosity about the differences that separate right versus wrong positions and, therefore, divide people. I believe invoking curiosity does not equate to abandoning a position; rather, I believe invoking curiosity has potential to lead to exploration, thinking and dialogue about the spectrum of any given position and create openness among people. I believe the possibilities that can potentially be created out of this process are endless.

Simply stated, I believe that reaching back to our childhood “why’s” has great potential to change the course of humanity. I truly believe in the power of Curiosity.