Brionna - Maple Valley, Washington

I Believe

As we grow up, we all develop different beliefs. Sometimes our beliefs are based on what we hear from our parents, what we hear on the radio, and what we read in magazines and newspapers. It doesn’t matter where we pick these things up, they are now ours and they are what we feel is right. I believe that homosexuals have the right to marry who they want. I also believe that abortion is a choice that women should be able to make on their own.

For as long as I can remember, I’ve never discriminated against someone based on their race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. No matter what relationship choice a person makes, they shouldn’t have to live life being judged on it. Back in 5th grade I had a friend named Akoni; he was constantly teased, ignored, and sometimes physically hurt by the other kids in our class because he “acted gay”. In most situations like this, the victim usually has only one friend or none at all. Not Akoni. He was the class clown and all the girls in our class and some from other classes liked him. He came to school everyday and put up with the way other kids treated him. One day I got fed up with it and told the teacher. The teacher handled it that day , but it started up again in a matter of days. Nobody should have to go through mental and physical abuse because of something as personal as a relationship between them and their significant other.

When it comes to abortion, there are some circumstances where it may or may not be ideal. A non-ideal circumstance would be that protection was not used because it was forgotten. A more ideal circumstance would be that a woman was raped. Many Americans feel that abortion shouldn’t be an option no matter what the circumstances are. I strongly disagree. Abortion should always be an option for impregnated rape victims. Nobody has the right to take that option away. What woman would want to give birth to a rapist’s baby? She would have to look at the baby who most likely will look like the father.

There is an alternative to abortion; adoption. In order to pout the baby up for adoption, the baby would have to be carried to term. Usually, by this time, a bond would have been formed between the mother and baby. I wouldn’t want to give my baby up after nine months of pregnancy, but at the same time I wouldn’t want to give birth to a baby and watch it grow up looking like the man who raped me.

Overall, I would have to say that I believe in the liberal views. I believe in pro-choice and gay marriage. as Americans, we should make life choices for ourselves and no one else.