David - Champaign, Illinois
Themes: sports

I believe baseball is more than “just a game”. Baseball is a form of self expression and a place where your worries in life simply disappear. The diamond is a place to let your guard down and truly be yourself. It is acceptable for a grown man to show emotion because he pours his heart and soul into the game. You may not win every game but the road of disappointment hurts every time.

What happens between the lines of the baseball diamond can be a religious experience. The smell of freshly-cut grass is like the incense at the altar. The crack of the bat is like a choir’s melody. When one lives and breathes the national pastime each pitch, each out can captivate the mind and body. It is an experience not every person is lucky enough to enjoy.

The game of baseball includes more than just the players. The ballpark is three hours of precious bonding time between a father and son. Between bites of your delicious hotdog and a drink of your Coke; your can cheer proudly for your team. It is at the ballpark where your father is the smartest man in the world explaining to you how to perfectly execute a hit and run.

My father took my brother and me to countless baseball games every summer when we were younger. He taught us the fundamentals and told us everyday how good we could be as long as we had passion for the game. Years later my older brother was a senior in high school and I was a freshman on the varsity team. Jon, my brother, batted third in the lineup and I hit cleanup. It was a spring I will never forget and a spring when my father could not have been more proud. It was a spring where two close-knit brothers were teammates and not only that, but part of the best lineup in the state. Jon, my older brother, hit ten homeruns while I hit sixteen during a twenty-five game season. We were one game away from a trip to the State Championship but we both were honored with 1st Team All-State Awards. We were interviewed by the media I said, “I believe we owe all of our success to our father who taught us that baseball is more than just a game.”