Emily - Timonium, Maryland

Common Decency

How many people have you ever know that have killed somebody or robbed a bank? I highly doubt you have a list. Now, how many people have you ever known that are really nice and just a good person? I hope you have a list for that one! I believe that most people are truly decent. They say please and thank you, hold the door for each other, and do their best to abide by the law.

You are always going to have murderers, robbers, and terrorists. But the amount of people who are truly good, despite a mask they might put on, out weighs the terrorists by a lot! When I think about it I have gone to bed feeling great because of the words or actions of someone else way more times than I have gone to bed sad because somebody said something or did something that hurt me.

The shooting at Virginia Tech has led me to this conclusion. My brother, his fiancé, sister, dad, and aunt are all Hokies. When I look at what recently happened, it’s easy to remember the quote unquote bad guy, or the shooter, we all know his name. What about the over 25,000 other students and faculty that didn’t wake up and shoot 32 people and themselves? There was even a professor who happened to be a holocaust survivor that gave his life to save the lives of his students. What about him? We don’t know his name. We tend to dwell on the bad, but really the good is so much more exciting, so we should be rejoicing over that! And it’s truly not hard, there’s good all over the place. Everyone is doing what they can to help the Virginia Tech community. That’s what counts, the majority, the quote unquote good people.

All I am trying to say is that people are good. We don’t try to purposefully hurt each other, or look for ways to be mean. We have our flaws but for the most part the human race is full of some pretty decent people. This I believe.