Megan - Champaign, Illinois

I Believe in…the power of running. Yes, I really mean running. Like the huffing and puffing, sweating through your clothes, make-you-tired running. It was this past year where life decided it was going to test my limits, strength and ability to overcome. It was this past June, sunny and warm, where I watched my father pull out of the driveway with all his belongings in a suitcase. My parents decided, after 28 years of being together, that they were going to get a divorce. They were high school sweethearts who once showed me, in the same high school that I went to, which locker they would sneak kisses in between passing periods. This news completely changed my life. And this was an understatement. The summer was full of tears, heartache, and disbelief. I felt as if my family was split in two like a crack in a wall. Never again were we going to experience the vacations together in Florida, Sunday night family bbq’s, or the laughter we all shared. Then came a turning point at the end of the summer. I decided that somehow I needed to be happy again. So, I tied up my pink Nike shocks, strapped on my ipod, and just started running. I ran for as far as I could go. The sun beating on my face and the pounding of my feet hitting the pavement were all I could feel. No sadness and no anger. All the negative events and feelings that I had felt for the past 6 months had somehow left my soul for those 20 minutes. From that day on, I ran. When I run, a strength and courage builds stronger and stronger and I feel like I can overcome anything. That my whole world can cave in on me, which it felt like it did, and I would somehow be okay and survive. With my body in motion and my muscles contracting and releasing, in the quiet space in my mind, I realize running isn’t about getting fit or being healthy. It has taught me to accept the changes that happen in life and embrace the fact that life isn’t going to go according to your plan. It has made me pick out the positives in the negatives. It constantly reminds me that I will be okay. Now, when the subject of my parent divorce comes up, no tears are shed and no thought of resentment occupies my mind. Instead, a reassuring feeling comes over me. So when I look to the future, I know that whatever challenge awaits me, I will be able to run–right past it.