Marie - Norman, Oklahoma

I believe that my Big Sister is a dream come true, and that God put her in my life as proof that He really loves me.

It was my senior year in high school, when I received the full tuition college scholarship. The only requirement was to maintain a 3.0 GPA. I lost it the second quarter at school. Oops! So I studied cooking at the local community college. From there I transferred to another university, where I studied mathematics. I picked up my bachelors degree and was going for my masters when I flunked out. That was crappy. I owed a truck load of credit card debt too.

I was ready at that point to give up on my dreams. I didn’t think life would ever be as grand as I had once imagined. I just needed to get a job, any job, and work. I needed to survive, to exist, but not to live. Living to me, meant to have hopes and aspirations; to dare to imagine things, and strive to achieve them. But at twenty-seven years of age, I had officially screwed up my life. There was no chance of the very best. I just needed to settle for whatever I would get.

Then my Big Sister stepped in. She made me tell her everything that was going on. Up to that point, I had kept it all a big secret. I informed her of my failing out of school, my $15,000 credit card debt, and the uselessness of a bachelors in Math, when not combined with another degree such as teaching. She rallied the family together, and they got rid of my debt, salvaging my credit record. My sister then made me move to California, and for two years I mooched off her. I was a charity case, but she made me feel like an essential part of her family and a vital part of her daily life.

At that time, I re-read The Dream Giver by Bruce Wilkinson. The point of the book was to say that God is the one that gives you grand dreams. If you trust Him, He will make those dreams come true in your life. After seeing the way God, through my Sister, restored hope where all I once had was fear and despair, I put my trust in Him, and dared to dream. With the help of my sister, I was able to remember my childhood dream of flight. She insisted that it was not too late to live out that dream. Her faith built up mine, and now at the age of thirty, I’m back in schooling (with a 4.0 GPA) learning to be a pilot. Isn’t that awesome!

Surely God put my Big Sister in my life as proof that He loves me, and that dreams really do come true.