Stacy - Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Themes: disability

April 30, 2007

Live Life to the Fullest

I believe that God has put us all in this world for a reason. We are here to do something with our lives. Some are not as fortunate as others, but life is what we make of it

My brother was born March 29, 1979. When the doctors told my parents that he had cystic fibrosis, they were devastated. They didn’t know what the disease was, but there was nothing that they could do about it. Things were really hard; lots of doctor appointments and special care were needed for Nathan.

I can remember spending lots of time with Nathan in the hospital. While in the hospital and attending camps, Nathan became close with other children who had cystic fibrosis. The life expectancy for cystic fibrosis children then was in their early twenties. As the years passed Nathan lost some of his good friends early in life. Nathan had to stay strong even though he was so young.

Now Nathan just had his 28th birthday and is doing great. I remember calling him on his birthday and he said to me, “I can remember being 17 and not thinking that I would make it this far.” This breaks my heart, but I know that he has done so much in 28 years of life. God keeps him here longer for a reason.

He graduated from Madison Media Institute and now lives in Madison where he has a great job. Even though his life may be cut short, nothing has stopped him from doing what he wants to do.

This is why I believe that you need to live life to the fullest because one day your life may be cut short. It’s important to take life for what it is with no regrets. Life is to cherish and memories are to be made. Life is to be special and it is what you make of it.