Jessica - Oak Ridge, Tennessee

It Will

Stop Hurting

While on the phone with my father, my son fell and scraped his arm. When the crying settled, my father brought back a memory; he suggested that I inform my son that “It will stop hurting when it feels better.” Sometimes my dad says it the other way around, “When it feels better, it will stop hurting.” I took his advice with a smile on my face and told my son what my father said. To my surprise my son’s face brightened and he ran off to play.

I can remember when my father said this to me as a child. Then I remember when I finally understood what it was that he was really saying. I did not appreciate what he was saying once I figured it out. I took it as a lack of sympathy from him. As an adult, being reminded of the statement, I see a different side to it. I see truth in it that I had not seen as a young lady. This statement simply gives a young child a broader view of the circumstance. We all go through pain, and during this pain it is hard to see that things will get better. When we here the voice that says things are going to be better we move past our circumstances of the moment. It gives us reassurance that there is an end to the pain.

I have used this several times since I first tried it on my son. It always works. The kids get right up and act like nothing ever happened after being injured. It seems to be simple psychology; just a little positive thinking can turn the situation around. However this statement works to change the attitude of a young mind. I am glad my father shared it with me. I will always hear his words when I feel like there is no relief to my pain. I will always know there will be a time when I feel okay once this moment in my life is over.

I like this statement because it can change a negative attitude, it’s humorous, and it can make the pain pass a little quicker. It will stop hurting, when it feels better.