William - Eau Claire, Wisconsin

I believe in positive energy

It may sound silly to some. I believe in the power of positive energy. The results of small or large amounts of positive energy that can be created can have amazing, and in this case, life saving effects.

I was born with a bad liver. I was born with a condition called Biliary Atresia. It is a condition in which the common bile duct between the liver and the small intestine is blocked or absent. This condition caused me to have a liver transplant when I was young. Of course, with something such as a transplant, I have been re-admitted back into the hospital for many reasons almost constantly throughout my life. One of the more recent times was more serious than usual. I had gone into the E.R. with a fever over 105 degrees and blood work had shown that my liver levels were off the charts. Though, it is normal for my liver levels to be somewhat higher than a normal person’s levels, I could not personally explain the abnormal fever. The doctor sedated me then and I only barely remember being on and riding in the ambulance down. When I awoke, still sick of course, I was greeted by my wife and her dad. Though it meant that my wife had to jeopardize her job to be with me so far away for so long, she did indeed stay with me. She talked to me and cheered me up. She made the pain that was my everyday easier to bear. And I was happy for her presence because I know I was too weak to have gone through this alone.

The doctors came and explained to me day after day that they had very little to go off of for my diagnosis. My liver had contracted a blood infection and was in pretty bad shape. As time went on, it seemed I was given less and less information as to what was going on with my liver and my health. Things seemed so bleak and I felt very weak physically and mentally, at this point I had already told myself I was not leaving this hospital alive. So in my mind I started to prepare and organize things that I needed to say to the people who were close to me while I still though I had the chance. My doctor seemed to know nothing, or at least was just hiding it from me and had me on no extra medication aside from my normal anti rejection drugs to help combat whatever was wrong with me. Constantly frustrated with the doctors lack of support, my wife would constantly get upset and scared, though she would never let me see it. My wife and my family were my only support, they only thing keeping me going was their presence and positive thinking, and of course, energy.

Then one day, for no apparent or explainable reason, I started to get better. My fevers had subsided and my liver levels started to drop to levels lower than ever before. It seemed one minute my life was ending and the next things were better than ever. I have no explanation for what happened to make me better and I’m still undergoing tests with my doctors to try and understand what went wrong.

There is no doubt in my mind that my wife and family and friend’s positive energies got me out of the hospital bed. Maybe someday doctors will be able to give me a reason how my liver repaired itself out of nowhere, but even still, I believe it was the power of positive energy that saved me this time.