Elizabeth - State College, Pennsylvania
Themes: nature

A Natural Resort

It is m I grew up in small town surrounded by forests. The woods behind my house became my own personal playground with more interesting things to play with, climb on and sit under, than any community playground, in my opinion. Many childhood memories took place in these woods, secrets were shared with friends, games of captured the flag were played and countless pairs of pants were ruined. As I grew older these woods took on a different role; a form of therapy. I would stroll the worn down never-ending paths once in a while; sometimes with friends, sometimes by myself. These woods became my escape from the world. It was here, that I was able to clear my mind. I learned a lot about my own life by taking in the changing character of the forest throughout the year: changing with the weather but always returning to the countless shades of green and brown in the spring and summer.

I didn’t realize it at the time, but when I went away to college I left an important part of my childhood. It was when I was removed from the convenience of being five minutes away from my living playground that I realize what type of impact it had on me. It was my resort, I knew every trail.

I realize now that I believe that everyone should experience the healing power found within nature. It creates a sense of place that cannot be rivaled. In a placeless, tense, and rushed society of ours, it is easy to forget that a little contemplation in a natural setting can change our outlook on everything.