Stephanie - State College, Pennsylvania
Themes: golden rule

I Believe in Karma

Growing up, my parents taught me to treat others the way I would want to be treated. For the most part I have lived my life by this golden rule, except when I am ticked off. When I am angry, I don’t remember to be nice and kind to others. I don’t remember to stay calm and not offend others. I just don’t care when I am mad at something or someone. My mouth has a mind of its own and sometimes I can’t control it. It is during these moments of rage that I forget about other people’s feelings. “What goes around comes around,” and I have learned this lesson the hard way.

There have been many moments throughout my life were I have let anger get the best of me. There is one unforgettable moment that made me realize I believed in karma. I was seventeen at the time, driving in my car with a friend. She started arguing with me about something irrelevant and pointless. It must have really bothered me because I started screaming at her while driving. She began to cry. After calling her inappropriate names, I kicked her out of the car at a red light. Infuriated, I sped away never looking back in her direction.

As I raced down the road and headed home, I glanced in my rearview mirror. I saw flashing lights, and I knew I was being pulled over. After receiving a one hundred and thirteen dollar ticket for speeding, I continued home even angrier than when I began. As I turned onto my street, I heard a thud coming from my back tire. I pulled into my driveway and got out of my car to see what was wrong. I looked down at my rear left tire to find a 2 inch nail sticking out of it. Just my luck, I got a speeding ticket and a flat tire in the same day.

Looking back on this event, I wish I had handled the situation differently. I am now a firm believer in karma and “what goes around comes around.” I believe karma had it out for me that day. My parents didn’t teach me about the consequences of karma. They taught me to treat others kindly and fairly. I have learned from my experiences throughout life that karma does exist and it is important to treat others the way I would want to be treated. I can’t say that I have completely avoided karma since that situation, but I am now more aware of my actions.