Hailey - Wylie, Texas

I believe that the little things count. I believe that everyday living wears people out, and the little things keep us going. The little things remind people that who they are and what they’re doing is important.

A few years ago I learned a vital lesson, a life lesson. When attending a Church group called AWANA, at the age of eleven. One week I decided to do something small, to write a short letter to the AWANA leaders telling them how awesome they were. It wasn’t anything big. Just a piece of paper folded in half with drawings and a short note inside. It cost no money and barley any time. I just handed them a card and gave each person a hug; five minutes later I had forgotten all about it. By the end of that year I was doing little things like that less and less often because I thought it made on difference to anyone. On the last day of AWANA, at the very end of that year, Mr. Tommy, an AWANA leader, gave me an award for finishing some Bible verse books, and then said to me and the rest of the group that one day he came to church with the intention of it being his last time. He had been convinced that he made no difference to anyone, and felt sure that he would not be missed. As he walked into church that night a little eleven-year-old girl gave him a hand-made card and a hug. He read the card; it told him that he was special to me, I loved him, and that I was grateful for him. I no longer remember the wording specifically since it had only take five minutes to write and give away. Five simple minutes to touch his heart, and the two minutes it took him to tell me touched my heart and changed my life.

At that moment I thought back; trying to remember every time a smile brightened my day, every word of kindness that kept me going, and every card that reminded me someone cared, I couldn’t, there were too many times. I realized that it was the little things that had made the most difference. If you thought back you would recall those instances. So ‘Pay it Forward’. Everyone needs to know that they are thought of, loved, and cared for. Everyone needs encouragement, so every once in a while do something small for someone else; go beyond ‘hi’, remember that everybody is going through something hard, making difficult decisions, possibly some of the biggest in their lives, and they need to know that they are not alone. I believe the little things count!