Angelica - Miami, Florida

Listen to the Voice Within

I believe in having heart to heart conversations with yourself; by this I mean battling your thought, and making sense of them on your own. Whether it is on paper, or just thought running through your mind. There’s nothing more satisfying that discovering strengths you never thought you had. It’s like what they say, “learn from your mistake”, I personally would rather learn from a mistake I took upon myself, than have taken someone else’s advice out of desperation and failed, it prevents all the finger pointing and feelings of regret. I know what I did and why I did it and how at the moment I thought it was the best thing to do. Having faith in yourself and listening to your thought first is something I strongly stand by.

All my life I’ve been taught that if you have something to say or something that is troubling you is on your mind, sharing it with someone would help you solve your problems. After various situations in my life I’ve learned that not everything is fixed through talking. Sometimes things just need to be thought out on your own. I’m not saying advice is a bad thing, I just think giving youself time to think about it and letting it sit for a while makes for better judgment; gives way to think about the ups and the downs. If you’re not sure of what you want, listening to other will just make it worse. “If you don’t believe in something, you’ll fall for everything.”

Whenever I had a rough day I would go home, into my room and just listen to music or take out my journal and write my thoughts away. It felt so liberating, not caring about what I wrote; I just wanted to get it out. Sometimes I think that’s what keeps me sane. The ability to write out my feelings and ideas, and not be judged by anyone comforts me. Giving myself time to write and think about important decisions or just anything that’s going on in my life gives me a sense of control. Only when I’m sure about my thoughts and decisions and ready to talk, is when I reach out to someone.