Hyung Soo - Pennsylvania

What’s happiness? It is not easy to define. All people have different definitions about happiness. I had grown up without any needs. When I need something, my parents provided me everything. They fed and protected me. I did not have anything to worry about. I can remember that I was really happy at that time. I thought I could do everything, and I did not fear about anything. I always had dreams for my future, and they changed overtime. I remember that my dream was to become a general when I was in elementary school, and when I was in the junior high, I wanted to be pilots. I never thought about the failure; I always believed that I would be the one I wanted to be.

When I was 17 years old, I came to the United States with a dream of becoming the greatest business man in the world. I had to face many difficulties such as communicating in English. However, I was still confident about my dream and tried hard to become a person I wanted to be. With my effort, I could enter the Smeal College of Business at the Penn State University. However, pursuing my dream became difficult. In 1998, I had to go back to Korea because my father’s business went bankrupt. It was the event which changed my whole life. I did not have to worry about any financial problems before. However, after my father’s bankruptcy, I had to worry about everything such as money and even my future. Sometimes, I had to walk 15 miles because I did not have any money to pay for the transportation. That time, I thought I was not happy because I did not have the money I used to have. A couple years later I got a job to teach English at the school. I worked day and night and made quite a lot of money. Moreover, I thought I would become happy. However, enough money did not make me happy.

I realized that the happiness don’t come with money from my experiences, and tried to find out what the real problem was. Finally I found out that when I had to face economical difficulties, I also gave up on my dream at the same time. Furthermore, I realized that I was not satisfied with anything since I gave up on my dream. After finding out my problem, I had time to think about what I really want to do and want to be. Then I decided to come back to the United States to learn more about business in order to be the greatest business man. It’s been 3 years since I came back to Penn State. And here I am as a grown man ready to take his first step into the real world. I believe in my dream, and now I am the happiest person in the world. From now on, nothing can make me unhappy. I will live the happiest life for my entire life with dream and effort.