Justin - state college, Pennsylvania
Themes: work

Imagine working 10-12 hour work days for 4 months and only having 4 days off. That is how I spend my summers. I believe in having a good work ethic. I’m not just talking about working hard in school and getting good grades. I’m talking about working hard on the job site, whether I am in an office or working outdoors. A great work ethic has helped me become a more valuable employee.

I had the privilege to work at Sewickley Heights Golf Club last summer as an intern in the Turfgrass Management major. I was very excited to get this internship and wanted to show my employer that I could learn quickly and effectively complete the job that I was assigned. This experience taught me the importance of working hard and putting in the extra time that is needed in order to be successful. When I began working this internship over the summer, I was immediately given certain responsibilities that had an impact on my workday. I started at five thirty in the morning, which was half an hour before most of the crew started. This early start was necessary in order to get the equipment ready for the day. I had to prepare all the mowers that were needed in the morning and make sure that they were ready to go when the rest of the crew showed up so that mowing could begin at six. I was in charge of this every morning during the four months of the internship, and it allowed me to prove that I could arrive on time to work and organize everything so that we could start every day very efficiently.

Not only did I have to be punctual,I also has several other important responsibilities. Early in the summer I was made responsible for all of the chemical applications that occurred on the course. This is a huge responsibility because these chemicals need to be handled with care in order to keep the environment, employees, and golfers safe from any hazards. These chemicals are regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency, so they must be handled properly and responsibly. Handling these chemicals on a weekly basis showed patience and care which is very necessary when making these chemical applications.

Over the course of this internship I learned about the importance of being responsible and working long hard hours. At the end of the summer my employer came up to me and told me that I did a great job and he respected the work ethic that I showed him. I was later offered an assistants position at this course due to that work. I will be starting as an assistant this summer at the club, and I couldn’t be happier because my hard work finally paid off.