Paige - Kaysville, Utah

This I Believe…

This I believe, that the world today does not know how to communicate because of the wonderful technology that we are given. It creates many problems because we are not used to talking to people face to face. While text messaging and instant messaging is so quick and easy to do, I believe that it is ruining the up and coming generation.

Don’t get me wrong, I love all of the great technology that is here today. I use it just like everyone else my age does. I probably even text way too much but there are some things about text messaging that drive me insane. You cannot have a serious conversation through text messaging because you can’t receive emotion. Many times if it is meant to be serious the person on the other end doesn’t take it as that. I cannot tell you how many times my best friend has thought that I was mad at her when I had no intentions of sending that message.

Text messaging is so convenient and an easy way of getting out of talking to someone face to face. At the beginning of my fall semester I met some friends. One of the boys started to like me and started text messaging me all day every day. I was cool with it because we were just having fun talking but when he started to ask me out on dates through text messaging I had to draw the line. I went on the first date because I didn’t want to deny him right off and who knows; maybe he was just a shy kid. The date was a lot of fun but when he text messaged me to ask me on another date I didn’t have any desire to go. After I told him that I didn’t really want to date anybody right now, my roommate went and talked to him because they had become really good friends.

He was fresh off of a LDS Mission and had not interacted with girls for two years. My roommate told him that she would give him some advice. The first thing that she told him was not to ask a girl out through text messaging.

I believe that we all need to realize that we need to learn good communications skills or else we are never going to be able to be successful. You need good communication skills everywhere you go whether it be a job interview or to ask someone on a date. As simple as it seems to just call someone, I believe that our society today has too much technology and we don’t know how to make the best out of it.