Kevin - Chicago, Illinois

I believe that the key to success is to remember that everything in life gets easier as you go on. I remember complaining to my grandfather about some problem I was having early on in my high school years, probably about some hard project or class I was in at the time. He told me “just keep going at it, it’s only going to get easier”. While I was not sure what he meant at the time, I believe he was right. School did get easier for the next couple of years and although it doesn’t always seem like it, college is easier than high school. Life does get easier. You just have to know how to handle what it is going to throw at you. And that’s the easy part, because with each new challenge you learn something to prepare you for a future one, making it that much easier when the challenge arrives.

In order for everything to get easier throughout your life, you must also believe in yourself. I think that it is important for me to take a step back once in a while, when I’m feeling down and out and remind myself that I can accomplish whatever obstacle I’m facing, and that after this it is only going to get easier from here on out. When school is really getting to me I take a look around me and remind myself that I am lucky to be here with all of the luxuries I have, and that things could be much worse. I remind myself that I can do anything I set my mind on, and that others are not always as lucky as I am.

The man who showed me that everything gets easier really meant a lot to me. And it is his example that reminds me nearly everyday that everything does get easier. He was born in Ireland in complete poverty, and moved away from home at 18 to find work. When he came to the United States his first job was sweeping CTA buses at night. On a sixth grade education he went on to raise and put five kids through college. Now, five of his 13 grandkids are in college.

I believe that life really does get easier as it goes on even if it may not seem like it at the time. It just takes a little perseverance, but in fifty years, look back on your life and I think you will recognize that yes, life just gets easier.