Silas - Cave City, Kentucky

I believe in the power of forgiveness. I believe that only through forgiving those who have wronged you can you fully live a happy and prosperous life. The bible speaks numerous times about the power of forgiveness, and the joy forgiving those who have betrayed you can have upon your life. God says in Matthew 6:14-15 “For if ye forgive men their trespasses; heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.” Forgiveness is the key.

It wasn’t until I was faced with an act that many deemed unforgivable that I was able to understand how important forgiveness was. It was June 24th, 2006, the worst day of my life, my father wad killed in a single car accident. The cause was a drunk driver. My dad, along with his brother, and the driver of the automobile died in the accident. The driver, a guy my father hardly knew, was drunk; as was my father and uncle. My faith in God and in myself was tested as it had never been before. Who was to blame? Was it the driver of the car, or the people who allowed them to leave drunk? These are all questions that kept racing through my head. I was angry with the driver, my dad, my uncle, and the people who allowed them to leave. I was angry with my dad because he was no longer here, and the driver for being so foolish as to drive drunk. I had no idea where to turn or who to turn to.

They say God has a plan for everyone, and that everything happens for a reason. God was the last person I wanted to speak with. Three years ago, I felt that God had let me down and that I could never forgive him or my father, uncle, or his friend for what had happened. Where was I to begin? The healing process is a long and hard road. Some days are easier than others to search for forgiveness, and just the same, some days are much harder to forgive those who have altered your life. It was, and is the biggest struggle I have ever had to face.

Forgiveness comes in four stages: hurt, anger, healing, and finally forgiveness. I don’t know exactly when I made the transition from anger to healing, but when I finally crossed the threshold of forgiveness it felt like the weight of the world had been lifted off my shoulders. It took almost two years to finally forgive, and with forgiveness came the understanding of what had happened. God had spoke to me and helped me understand that sometimes things do happen for a reason, and that we aren’t supposed to know what his plans are.

So, with this I forgave. I thanked God for all the memories that I had and all the good times my father, uncle and I shared. The hatred that I felt for the driver he replaced with sympathy for the senseless loss of life. God had finally given me the strength to forgive, and for that I believe in the power of forgiveness, and the power that God has over our lives.