Victoria - Champaign, Illinois

I believe that everything works together for my good in the end. Remember, I never said everything that happens in life would be good, but I said everything would work together for my good in the end.

One instance that really sticks out in my mind happened a while ago. I never ran with the big crowd, but I always had my small clique. One of the girls in the group was a childhood friend of mine, so we were like two peas in a pod. Sadly, high school was a time for change in both of us. You see, in our early years, hanging out meant going to the mall or the ice arena. We would even go to the movies and eat out. Now that we were in high school, it was time to step it up a notch. It was time for us to “grow up.” To her, it seemed more interesting to spend the weekends at house parties and sneaking into the club. I tried it a few times, and I can honestly say that was not my definition of fun.

The years went by, and I knew we were going our separate ways. Neither of us said anything about the distance that was growing between us; it was just something we knew was happening. We had different goals, and we were going our separate ways. We didn’t hang out as much anymore, and the number of phone calls dwindled. Those were some of the hardest years for me because I knew I was losing my best friend.

Senior year caught up with us, and before we knew it, graduation was just around the corner. I knew that I was going to the University of Illinois after I graduated, but she didn’t have that same assurance. Her days of partying finally caught up with her because her grades really suffered in the process, and she did not have any plans to attend college after graduation.

I have seen her around town a few times since then, and she still likes to party hard. Sometimes I wonder how my life would have turned out if we didn’t go our separate ways. I can honestly say that I don’t think it would have turned out as good as it is now. It didn’t feel good to break off a friendship with someone that was so close to me. Looking back, now I can see that sometimes things happen in life that doesn’t feel good, but in the end, things always have a way of working out for my good.