Steven - Mundelein, Illinois

-On the Dave Matthews Band song, Tripping Billies

I believe, as well as live my life to the saying, “eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die”. Everyday I wake up, I never know if it will be the last day of the rest my life. I hope it is not, but if by some chance it is, I want to know that I spent everyday of my life as happiest I could.

I know life is too short for so many, but I learned that the hard way. In November 2005, 3 friends of mine and another friend of my younger brother passed away in a span of 14 days, all in incidence’s separate to one another, none older than the age of 19. I was shocked, angry, devastated and kept pondering the question of why this happened. About a week later I turned to the one thing that has never failed in making me feel better, the music of the Dave Matthews Band, and I put on the song Tripping Billies. As a long time listener of the band, I heard this song hundreds of times before. However, this time was much different, and in the words of “eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die”, everything changed for me. I realized that life is too short to be spent being mad. Life is too short for me to dwell on my problems. Instead, I should be spending my life as happy as possible because I know that any day could be my last.

I used to be the type of person who was worked up by the most insignificant things in life, whether it was an argument with a friend or family member, the outcome of a sports game, or even a bad grade in school. That horrible November put life into perspective for me. I cannot spend the precious time I have with my family and friends being unhappy, because in reality, there is nothing to be gained by being unhappy. In comparison, there is everything to be gained by achieving happiness.

There is no doubt life can be tough, as well as cruel in the most unusual ways. Nevertheless, I have learned to make the best of tough situations, and sometimes that is all I can do. However, because I never know what day will be my last, there is nothing better for me than to “eat, drink and be merry”… that is what I believe, and it is all I need to believe.