Kayla - Houston, Texas

I believe that you will find purpose and happiness in your life when you put your trust in God. I believe that God knows all things and has plans to prosper us and not to harm us.

It has taken me many years to finally admit and surrender to this. Growing up in church I was always told to put my trust in God, but I never truly understood what that meant until about three years ago.

My freshman year of high school I became very sick with a chronic illness that seemed to consume my life for about two years. During that first year, after seeing so many doctors, I became very interested in medical field. So, I took the Health Science Technology I class and was able to get my certification in CPR and First Aid. Not even a month later, a boy had a terrible accident and I was able to save his life by using the knowledge I had just learned. If I had not gotten sick in the first place, I would not have taken this class, and the boy probably would have died.

God knows all things. He knew that boy would need my help. He knew that my life would be forever changed for the better by enduring this illness. I’ll be the first to admit that I am a very stubborn person and God knew that it was going to take something big to wake me up from the life style I was living. When I first became sick, I was actually very angry at God. I couldn’t figure out why He would let this happen to me! I became a miserable, angry, and bitter person, but I later realized that my actions and attitude couldn’t have been anymore wrong. I surrendered all to the Lord and let him take charge of my life once again and only then did I find true happiness and purpose.

I now actually thank God for my illness. Without it, I would not have had the opportunity to save a boy’s life and I would not have realized that I have the spiritual gift of helping others. This experience has taught me to put my trust in the Lord. This year, I will go off to college to major in Nursing and then hopefully pursue a career as a Nurse Missionary if the Lord leads me to do so. I have come to realize that sometimes you don’t really understand why things are happening, but when you put your trust in the Lord and you let him work in you, everything will turn out perfectly according to His plan. Proverbs 3:5 often reminds me of this: “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.”