Samuel - Saco, Maine
Themes: freedom

It’s really hard to write what you believe without making someone mad. That’s why I believe in the power of opinions. Throughout history, opinions have changed history and culture. Heck, they’ve made everyone who they are. Since each of us has our own opinions, we can only influence other people if they don’t have a stable opinion on that subject.

Power is held in the most convincing argument, which is probably why I am the liberal person that I am. My dad has had the strongest argument I’ve heard on politics and as such, it is the opinion on politics that I take. Of course there are offshoots and I have my own little ideas and formulations, but as far as liberalism itself goes, I see the same direction my dad does.

The reason that kids learn from teaching is that teaching in itself, is an incredibly accurate opinion on something. A fact is nothing more than an incredibly accurate opinion, based on what we think we know. As for the untruths, well, that’s just a matter of whichever sounds convincing enough to be a “fact”. In my opinion, that is why the conservative parties do so well: they give the people what they want to hear. It may not be “fact” but it is the most convincing opinion to some people, hence why the media is so popular (or at least, that’s my opinion).

I’m sure that whoever is reading this, or hearing this is forming their own opinions about it. If you think I’m right, then I’m right. If you think I’m wrong, I’m wrong. Ha, got you. My opinion is that you’ll think my opinion is right or wrong, thus I can predict (on a very basic level) what your thinking. Congratulations, you’ve given me brief control of your mind. I can see the potential that the opinion has, and it’s my opinion whether you believe it or not. Maybe I have not taken control of your mind. Perhaps brown is green. I don’t know. All that I do know is that fact is not fact, for nothing is the same.

A Denali is African currency, the yen, Japanese. What if I decide to call it a fish? My opinion. Maybe yours. It brings to mind a quote derivative from Shakespeare: “A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet.” I’m sure it does.