Neelam - Crystal Lake, Illinois

The Alchemist, which is a book by Paulo Coelho, is all about accomplishing goals and perseverance no matter what hardships come along the way. It is about a young shepherd who wanders through the fields of Andalusia to find himself. He meets many different people who help him throughout his journey to find himself and the meaning of life. On his journey, he meets a king who tells him, “”To realize one’s destiny is a person’s only obligation, and when you really want something, the whole universe conspires in helping you achieve your goals.” I believe that when anyone works their hardest in achieving their goals, the universe and people around them will conspire to help them on their journey.

In life, we all have goals we want to accomplish and things we want to do. When I entered college, I didn’t have any direction in life. My grades after freshman year were the worst they have ever been. The following summer, I re-evaluated my life goals and decided that I wanted to pursue optometry. Ever since I decided my goal of going into optometry, I have done a lot to explore the field and get involved in activities and clubs that will help me get into optometry school. I believe that since I have been trying so hard, that the universe will help me achieve my goals. I guess another way to put it is that god helps those who help themselves. I believe that hard work does pay off, and the more one helps his or her self, the more others will help that individual in achieving their goal. For example, over my spring break, I spent 3 days just going to every single optometrist’s office in my hometown and the neighboring towns in search of a summer job. It took a lot of time and courage to go into each office and explain my story. One optometrist offered me a part time job. It was my hard work that helped me get the job; however, I was lucky to find out that this optometrist used to be a professor at the optometry college that is my first choice, and she is giving me a chance to work and learn from her. I believe that because of my determination and persistence in achieving my goal, the universe is also helping me in finding the best opportunities.

I know that achieving all my goals in life is not going to be easy. I do believe, however, that if I really want something and I work my hardest to achieve my goals, the universe will also acknowledge my efforts, and help me in reaching my goals.