Durrell - Aurora, Illinois

Appreciating the Good, After the Bad

I often remember my best friend. I remember him because he is a source of some of the highest points in my life and some of the lowest. From time to time I reminisce on the day he was no longer my best friend as well. I remember this day because I wanted to see him so bad that I prepared to see him.

I had a brand new remote control car and on this specific Wednesday, I was looking forward to playing with it, with my friend. Just to give you an idea of how I prepared to see him, I have never been known for doing any chores but I remember I actually cleaned my whole house that day because I knew this would be a special day. But, after I finished getting ready, when it finally came to calling him to come over, something stopped me. I kept putting it off throughout the day until I finally called hours later from when I first thought to make the call.

I finally mustered the courage, but by then it was too late. His sister answered the phone and told me my best friend; Billy was in the hospital because he had been hit by a car while riding his bike. Without going into the theatrics of the day, by the end of the day, I had lost my best friend.

This day marked the end of my friendship and the lowest point of my life. This happened nine years ago but I can remember it as if it were yesterday. This happened to me years ago but what I have learned will serve me for the rest of my life. I believe that in order to truly appreciate the good times you experience you must experience the bad. I have been to a low point that I do not wish to feel again, still when I come across the good times in my life I can weigh it against those bad times and because of that, I am truly grateful for the times I know I am being blessed.

People are always surprised when they ask me, “How are you doing,” and I respond, “I’m Always Good.” They ask how can I always be good and I say because I look at the bright side of things. But, deeper than that I’m always good because I know how feeling truly bad feels and I am nowhere near that, so things really must be going my way. I’m not saying someone needs to be through some traumatic event to fully appreciate life still… If everything always works out well for you, how do you know when times are good?