Amy - Greeneville, Tennessee
Themes: parenthood

I believe that there are many heroes in the world that walk the earth quietly, never without any acknowledgement of all the good things they do in their lives. They are strong and wholesome people who never realize that they do so much good for others. They would never expect praise or recognition. These are the people that the children of our world need to look up to and model their lives after.

My father was my hero. He helped look after his mother, brothers and sisters after his own father died when he was just 13 years of age. He finished school while working to help support the family. He served his country in the military and then gave everything he had to his own family. My father made us laugh, and feel appreciated. He taught us to be forgiving, understanding, and the best that we could be. He had six children that he loved and cherished. He would give the shirt off his back to anyone who needed it and never complained about anything. He taught me what it was to be good and always made sure I knew how proud he was of me. He was my hero.

My husband lost his granddad to cancer just last week. As he talked about him I saw love and admiration in his eyes. He told me stories about how he loved his family and gave them everything he could. His granddad never expected a thank you for all that he did and many times he did not receive one. As my husband grew older he began to understand the strength and courage his granddad had and he began to appreciate him more. He was my husband’s hero and passed on so many of his tributes to him.

I believe these are the heroes in our lives. They walk beside us everyday and we never realize how much they give us until we are grown. These are the people we need to look up to. These are the people that children should be taught to model their lives after. These are the real heroes in our lives.