Petya - Johnson City, Tennessee

I believe that we can shape our future and that our destinies lie in our own hands. I believe that we can be whatever we wish; the only prerequisite is ambition.

I have heard many times from people, “No, I can’t do it”, “This is not for me.” This is not an excuse for people not to try to accomplish their desires and even their most daring dreams. It is so unfortunate when people complain about their current situations and attribute their failures or lack of opportunities to predetermination. Many of my friends complain of the difficult economic situation in my country, Bulgaria, but at the same time they are afraid to take steps to change their lives. They are waiting on some external force or miracle to make their lives easier. I completely agree that the government is responsible for not taking sufficient measures to stabilize the economy, but the people are not required to stay; they can change their destinies. They can apply for jobs in other better developed countries or go back to school and enhance their knowledge to qualify for better paid jobs. The only thought that comes to my mind is that those people do not lack chance; they lack ambition. They prefer to take what is granted to them, although insufficient to their demands, instead of striving to obtain what is not readily offered, but better.

Many of my American friends want to study abroad, but they often choose Anglo-speaking countries for their destinations, due to the mere fact that they do not know foreign languages. Is that a reason not to study in France, Spain, or Germany? For me it is not, but for many people it is. These people limit their opportunities and close many doors that are wide opened for them. I believe that we have to pay the price for our success and happiness in life. We have to work hard for a better future and be brave to pursue our dreams and desires because we are granted with limitless freedom to choose our present and change our future.