Rachel - Knoxville, Tennessee
Themes: parenthood

What My Daddy Taught Me

As a kid, I never got an allowance; I was never given anything that I did not work for. My dad has always taught me that if you want something in life, you have to earn it; nothing is going to fall out of tree anywhere for you. This impacts my world view. I was raised on a farm with my two sisters. While most kids were in their backyards playing, my sisters and I were breaking beans, shucking corn, peeling apples, and doing other chores. I have done this every summer. My mother cans food for the winter and we usually help with that. I wouldn’t dare ask for anything from my parents, especially money; I had to work for it. I have had to earn money by doing chores, yard work, and other things around the house. The funny thing is; I’ve had more money than all of my friends. All my friends were given allowances, usually weekly, but I still had more money than them.

This lesson has taught me to be my best in everything, whether it is speaking in front of class or playing a sport. I have learned the importance of what work is about, especially when you go into the work force. I have realized that nothing is going to fall out of a tree for me; I have to earn my keep in this world. My dad’s lesson has taught me a sense of being. I have learned to be responsible for my own belongings and I am mature enough to realize what this lesson has meant to me. The importance of this lesson is working hard for what I get and ask nothing in return.

Growing up in a southern state has also helped me to learn this lesson. Many people here work hard for what they get, but some people still haven’t learned to work for what they want. Today, I have shared what I believe with you. Next time you want something, remember that it is not going to fall out of tree for you; you’ll have to work for it.