Maria - Urbana, Illinois

I believe that the toughest moments in your life make you a better person. I have a saying I live by: “What doesn’t kill you, will only make you stronger.” This quote has helped me through a few rough times. I have seen the highest of the highs and the lowest of the lows in my life and in others. It’s obviously easy living life’s highs. That’s what everyone wants- to live in a perfect dream. The feeling of being in top of the world is an easy feeling to get accustomed to. Like when I got into the college of my choice, I felt like I could do anything. Or like when my aunt gave birth to quadruplets. I saw how happy my uncle and she were. They seemed like they could fly. But life isn’t always a bed of roses. You gotta take the bad with the good. It’s during the bad times where you learn the most about life. It’s during these times that your character gets built up the most. It’s what makes you who you are in a sense that you’ll come out strong in the end if you stick through it. I know one of the worst times for me was when my high school sweetheart and I broke up after three years of dating. I thought it was the end of my world. I was depressed for months and cried myself to sleep almost every night. However, as time went on, I gained a lot from that experience. I realized that being with him taught me more about myself…about what I wanted and didn’t want in a significant other. Even though I won’t end up with him like I always had pictured, it wasn’t a waste of time. It was a learning experience. You get to know more about yourself with these experiences. I pulled through it just fine, and now I realize you can’t let anything get you down. You have to think of bad times as positive in the sense that they will make you a better person. You will come out knowing more out of these times than the good. Even in times of death, you pull through it. My uncle died at the age of 42 and it was a sudden death. I loved him dearly. He was the first person to die that was close to me, and I didn’t take that well either. I didn’t realize how precious life was or how short it could be. Seeing my aunt be so strong during the whole thing, really made me realize that even during the worst times, you gotta keep standing and take it for what its worth. I admire her for being such a strong woman, and hope to be as strong as her one day. So you may not know it at the time, but once you hit rock bottom, you can only go up from there. So during rough times, make the most of it, and keep on thinking that eventually everything will fall into place. Have faith and hope in yourself and in your future. Embrace the tough times with as much patience and love as you can. I believe it’s these times that make us who we are and who we will become.