Lisa - Chandler, Arizona
Themes: parenthood

Remember your P’s and Q’s

Children are natural mimics; they act like their parents in spite of every effort to teach them good manners.

Author Unknown

As a first time parent, I considered Parents magazine the how-to guide to becoming the perfect parent. The wisdom it conveyed once included an article stating manners are the best gift we can give our children. They cost nothing, except time and persistence to teach, but the rewards will last a lifetime. Manners are the true gift that keeps on giving.

Please and thank you, along with a smile given daily to others will nurture manners like a young seed newly planted, ready to grow and develop into a never ending garden. The flowers of kindness, thoughtfulness, compassion and empathy are meant to be shared throughout the world.

The phrase you reap what you sow is so true when it comes to manners, when I spend time in the world today I do not see many smiles or acts of consideration extended to others. I see sullen, spoiled children, who feel the world owes them everything; whose parents set a poor example by neglecting to smile, or say please and thank you to others.

When we ask ourselves, what is wrong with the world today could the place it all begins be our manners, or lack of them? Unlike other muscles groups in our minds and bodies, manners develop quickly. At first it will feel unnatural to constantly exercise them, but eventually we could see well defined, healthy manners develop as a direct result of our efforts.

Manners need to be practiced; “no thank you,” “yes please,” “good morning,” “how are you today?” and a smile would soon become automatic responses. Manners are contagious and easily spread to others. What if as individuals we insisted on politeness, would the world peace everyone is always striving for be attained? This goal could create a mantle of kindness that enfolds the earth. We may not always be able to avoid disagreement and conflict in our lives, but it couldn’t hurt to give it a try.

In conclusion, I would just like to say, thank you for listening and have a great day.