Kelsey - Waynesville, North Carolina
Themes: forgiveness

Chances

I believe in forgiveness. I believe in 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th chances. Everyone makes mistakes this makes us human. I believe everyone deserves another chance.

I am the youngest of three children. Kyle is the oldest, then Chris, and then me. Growing up the things I remember are, always feeling loved, dancing to great 80’s music, going to church, and Kyle being in trouble. Growing up with Kyle was hard. He always beat up on Chris and me, and constantly put us down. Mom and Dad couldn’t leave us alone with him or he would torture us and lock us in our rooms.

When Kyle was a senior in high school, he started drinking and doing drugs. Kyle and his friends decided to break into a house but were caught in the process. After graduation he had the SAT score to go anywhere he wanted, but his GPA was so low no college would take him. He went to the community college for a while but stopped going to classes. He would disappear for days. When he finally came home, he would stagger around the house and then lock himself in his room and sleep for three days straight. Kyle moved out of our house and got an apartment with some of his friends. I heard stories about all their drug parties from my classmates.

Kyle checked himself into rehab. This wouldn’t be the last time he went. He went a total of three times. He would try really hard for a while but somehow he would always fall back into the drug scene. I would get my hopes up that we would have a relationship. I had a great one with Chris, and I wanted one with Kyle. The last time Kyle went to rehab something stuck with him. I could see it in his eyes he was completely different. He stopped talking down to us, stopped doing all drugs, drinking and smoking. He was no longer mean; he wasn’t talking to us like we were stupid. What surprised me the most was that he apologized to each of us for everything he put us through. He wasn’t going to put us through any more heartache. I knew he was serious when he started restoring the old farm house in our apple orchard. As he began tearing out the old and replacing with the new it was like he was rebuilding himself. He now has a full time job, a new girlfriend, and a new life for himself, with self respect for what he has accomplished.

I gave Kyle another chance and I couldn’t be happier. I am slowly learning all about my brother, and we are working on our relationship. I know that if I didn’t forgive Kyle for everything he did to us I would never have this relationship. I have learned from my experiences with my brother that people deserve more chances, because one day they might get it right.