Kayla - Edina, Minnesota
Themes: integrity

Be True To Yourself

I believe in many things. I believe in my family, my friends, and that homework is totally useless. I also believe that you should be 100% okay with who you really are. I know, it’s true, you can never be totally okay with yourself, but the least you can do is try. If you are extremely popular and cool around school, it’s not that hard. For me and millions of other teenagers across the United States, it’s a different story.

For the most part, I consider myself a social outcast. I’m not saying I don’t have friends; I’m just saying that I have never been normal in middle school. I’m not the stick-thin popular girl. I’m not the extremely athletic jock girl. And I’m definitely not the -ber rich girl that everyone likes because she buys good birthday presents. I am, and always will be, me. But there were times in my life when I wasn’t okay with that. Let me tell you a story…

The date is November 6th, 2006. I’m sitting in the office waiting for my friend to come and help me get to my first class. My hands are shaking and I’m sure that my face is unbelievably pale. I’m know you would be nervous too if it was your first day at a new school. Oddly enough, my nerves aren’t coming from being alone in a huge place. I have friends here, some of which I’ve known since I was eight years old. I’m nervous because I don’t think people will like my personality. I’m outgoing, talkative, and loud. Sitting in the office, I decide to undergo a complete personality makeover. No longer will I be the loud girl, but the quiet and reserved girl who doesn’t say much.

The date is now April 17th, 2007. I remember the first month of my time at the new school where I actually had been the quiet girl. I don’t know how I could’ve made such a huge mistake. I was being someone who wasn’t me. I was trying to act like someone that I wasn’t, and it never took me anywhere. Nobody got a chance to get to know my true personality because I never said anything. About a month after I transferred schools, I finally let my guard down. I started acting like the outgoing person I really am. To my huge surprise, I gained more friends than I had while I was acting shy!

I have learned one important thing throughout this whole experience: be who you are and don’t let anybody stop you from that. I’m not saying that if you act like yourself everybody will like you. Believe me, I know that there are people who have their issues with me. But I figure, that’s their problem. I’m acting like myself, I have friends who care about me, and most importantly, I’m happy. That’s all I’ll ever need.