Jennifer - Champaign, Illinois

I believe that everything happens for a reason. My pastor once said that, “God never allows anything to happen to His children without His permission, good or bad.” I believe this because my life exemplifies the meaning of that statement. There are three examples from my life, among many, that highlights this fact. When I was in the 8th grade I applied to a few high schools, but my heart was set on going to Prosser Career Academy because it was a neighborhood school and all my friends were going. I ended up being placed on the Prosser waiting list. I also ended up missing Wendy Young’s testing date, and I didn’t want to go to Lane Tech. I ended up taking the entrance test for Providence St. Mel at the urging of my mother. I scored into Advanced Placement classes, and was offered admission. I never in my life would have thought I would attend a private high school. That was the dream of my very smart friend who had parents with money…it’s funny she ended up in a public school. I, on the other hand, had numerous opportunities opened up for me by attending PSM. It wasn’t my plan to attend PSM because I didn’t even see my parents being able to afford to pay for me to attend. However, the way was made because it was God’s will, and everything happens for a reason. I believe everything happens for a reason. My friend from high school who was a freshman at the Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison told my friend and me about an internship in Washington, D.C. our freshman year. It was near the deadline when he told us about the internship, but we applied anyway. I was the only one to get accepted into the program. I interned in Rep. Jesse Jackson, Jr.’s office. This happened despite my worries over not being good enough to compete with other students. I could tell you so much about how participating in the program has helped me, but I’ll keep it short with it was meant for me to be there. I believe everything happens for a reason. Last summer I applied to a pre-law summer program, but I did not get accepted. I was upset because it meant that I would have to spend my summer in Chicago working at Wendys. However, this happened for a reason. My grandmother passed away last summer after a long battle with illnesses, and I was able to attend the funeral. Had I been in California like I wanted to, there would have been no way for me to attend her funeral. I believe everything happens for a reason. Now, that I will be getting ready to apply to graduate school or possibly law school next year, I’m not worried about the outcome or what my future holds for me because I understand everything happens for a reason.